Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Preparing for the Interview
These tips are from MCC's Career Services office.
Call or email the office to set up an appointment for one-on-one career help.
- Research the company/organization
- Practice interviewing with someone you trust and prepare some questions for the interviewer
- Dress appropriately
- Arrive on time (15 minutes early is even better!)
- Be confident in how you carry and present yourself
- Listen carefully to the interviewer, and ask thoughtful questions
- Follow up with a thank you note no later than one business day after the interview. Include your thanks for their time, a reference to the discussion, and why you think you'd be a good match for the job.
- Wait 2-5 days to follow up and ask about a decision
Researching a Company
(Library database) Search 60 million businesses. Use the Quick Search to find a specific company. Use the Advanced Search to find businesses by geographical location, number of employees, and more.
How to Research a Company Before an Interview
These tips from themuse.com can help you learn about the organization before you go for an interview. Remember, you're interviewing them, too!
- Know the company's strengths - What is their mission? What are their values? Check their website for an About Us section.
- Find their financial data - Use ReferenceUSA (library database) to locate a company's earnings and financial data, including business expenditures and sales earnings.
- Consider community relationships - Look at their social media accounts. Can you find reviews of their company? Are they active in their community?
- Learn about company culture - Find employee reviews of a company on Glassdoor.com (after registering for a free account).
- Be familiar with the industry - What's trending in the field? Who are their competitors?
Interviewing Tips from Indeed.com
Popular Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- How has your previous experience prepared you for this position?
- Why do you want to work for our company?
- What interests you about this role?
- What are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
- Tell me about a difficult work situation and how you overcame it.
- How do you handle conflict at work?
- Describe a time you went above and beyond at work.
Popular Questions to Ask Your Interviewer
- Can you describe the day-to-day details of the role?
- Can you describe your management style?
- What do you like about working here?
- How do you help your team grow professionally?
- What are the challenges of this position?