Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Off-Campus Access to Databases
To access any database in this Research Guide from off campus, you will need your myMCC login. If you need to reset your password, go to the myMCC login page and click on Password Reset/Find Username.
MCC Library Info
Questions? To contact an MCC Librarian, click on
Ask a Librarian!
Regular Library Hours
Monday through Thursday,
8:00am to 6:00pm
8:00am to 4:30pm
Spring Break Library Hours (March 27 - 31)
Monday - Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm
Keywords to Try
Starting Your Search
- Start your search with two or three keywords.
- One keyword isn't specific enough and will produce an overwhelming number of results.
- Too many keywords might be too specific and won't produce enough results.
- Revise your search -- try other keywords and see how that changes your results.
Some Keywords to Try
Try these search tips to locate information efficiently in our databases:
- AND: for combining unrelated search terms (like catalase AND temperature)
- OR: for searching similar words (like salt OR sodium chloride)
- NOT: for eliminating results (like fermentation NOT bacteria)
- Use quotation marks to search words as a complete phrase, like “biochemical process”
- Full text
- Publication date
How to Find Scientific Articles
These databases are good for finding in-depth articles on your topic.
Gale eBooks This link opens in a new window
Database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research
Gale in Context: Science This link opens in a new window
Periodical and reference articles on science topics
Academic OneFile This link opens in a new window
Multi-disciplinary full text database
Academic Search Complete (EBSCO) This link opens in a new window
Large database of articles, many in full-text, on a variety of subjects from journals, magazines and newspapers.
This list contains links to open access scientific information on the web. Remember to evaluate the information carefully!
BioMed Central is an STM (Science, Technology and Medicine) publisher of 220 open access, online, peer-reviewed journals. The portfolio of journals spans all areas of biology and medicine.
Directory of Open Access Journals
Free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals, covering all subjects and many languages.
Research 101: Format Matters