Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Other useful/related Research Guides
MCC Library Info
Questions? To contact an MCC Librarian, click on
Ask a Librarian!
Monday, May 16 - Friday, August 12
Monday through Thursday,
8:00am to 6:00pm
8:00am to 4:30pm
Fridays from June 3 to July 29
Memorial Day – Monday, May 30
Juneteenth – Monday, June 20
Independence Day – Monday, July 4
The Research Process
- Start with your research question or thesis statement.
- Identify key concepts.
- Identify keywords related to those concepts.
- Choose your search tools.
- Test your search.
- Revise/refine your search.
Keywords & search terms
Food and Health in America
This guide provides some helpful information for your research on this topic, including keywords and recommended databases.
- Do some pre-research on a topic! Use Google to explore your topic, which will lead you to keywords and a way to turn your topic into a thesis statement. You're not looking for specific sources yet - you're just exploring the topic. Write down keywords as you find them. You can use them later to search databases for peer-reviewed sources.
- Use the Subject Terms tool in a database like Academic Search Complete. It'll give you database-specific terms to use when searching.
- If you need an idea to start with, go to Opposing Viewpoints and use the Browse Issues tool.
Here are some search terms (or possible topics!) to get you started:
diet and disease
food poisoning outbreaks
food production or supply
genetically modified organisms (GMOs)
ENG 152 Information Literacy Objectives
Information Literacy is one of MCC's four general education goals. Information Literacy is the ability to recognize when information is needed and to locate, evaluate and use information effectively. In this session, you will learn how to:
- Select appropriate search tools to identify and locate information sources.
- Construct effective database searches.
These skills will help you find quality, appropriate resources for your research assignments.